Monday, July 09, 2007

Block it, not parry it

Thought of doing some difference in today's warming up.
Instead of run run run, stretch stretch stretch... I mix running and stretching together. And the dashing in the end, I still made it into small section, dash and push up, dash and push up, dash and sit up. I think Sensei quite like this idea. Not too sure, but just my intuition.

Sensei asked me to lead basic idoushiki (移動式) today. Personally, I don't have a lot of variation. My basic drills are kind of standard. 追い突き (oizuki)、逆突き(gyakuzuki)、上げ受け(ageuke)、横打ち(yokouchi)、横受け(yokouke)、払い受け(haraiuke)。。。

And what follow is Kata training. Oh! Got the name today.
Big knuckles = だいけんとう (daikentou)
small knuckles = しょうけんとう (shoukentou)
In the beggining of 十手(jitte), there are two small knuckles that was used to hit the hand, and if hit at the right point, it can be very painful. And for the 下段払い後屈立ち (gedanbarai koukutsudachi), we are told to cross our hand to perform a full blocking. May be I should try that for my chatanyara Kusanku as well. May be it will look better.
For Wanshu, the 4th step (werid way of counting...) where we hit our own hand while raising one leg, when dropping down, it is not just a yokobarai. I used to think it was so. Sensei said that we need to pull in our hand slightly and 'punch' it out. It has a blocking, as well as a punching/pushing in it. (hmm... bad in describing. haha...)
And the double palm, the lower hand is 'pointing' sideways, supposed to hit the waist. And I always thought that it is a block. Well, but everything is also up to our own interpretation, we can use it as a block, it is just a variation. Just that must always keep in mind, originally, it should be a hitting, that is all.

After all the training, Ivan was telling me, when I didn't do yokouke correctly. The correct way should have the fist slightly outward from the body. But it doesn't really look nice in kata, so for competition purpose, most of the time we made it align with the body. But for real application, it should be slightly outward to make sure efficient blocking.
Kevin was telling me as well, when I block I didn't block completely. Most of the time, I am just using nagashiuke. But by executing a complete block, I am able to clear the whole area, and be very sure that the opponent will not be able drive in through the same place again.
What does it mean by a complete block? The elbow, should be moving all the way in, just like when we did in basic, when we block. Ivan said that is what Albert Senpai always teach. Block, not parry.

Today's 一言:Block fully, punch fully, live life fully.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home