Monday, November 05, 2007

Inside outside

Was a bit tired with school work today, so didn't practice any kendo before my Karate lesson.

But thinking carefully, in Kendo, for all these while, I have only been trying to cut properly. And it is not a lot of different kind of cut, it is just one same cut. Each time I swing the boken back and forth, aiming to train my muscle so that I will be able to cut properly and accurately.

We need to have that mentality in training Karate as well.
The very basic, punch!

Perhaps we really should pay that extra bit of attention, to understand the whole trajectory pathway of punching and pulling, rotating and twisting. And from there slowly build up speed and power, making sure that the accuracy is never compromised.

Today we did target practice. The target for the punch is not just one pad, but two pads. Both pad are held separated by about 5 to 10cm. We are told not to punch too near to the target, and always aim to punch through, knocking both pads.

The idea of punching through.

After punching is kicking. And I realize that I have problem kicking. When I am kicking the air, it is perfectly alright. But when kicking the pad, somehow I can't drive my force in effectively.

******
I am not too sure when does a Kendo-ka start to do target practice, hitting their oponent. The focus extends beyond looking inwards towards oneself, but also look outwards, towards the oponent.
But for my practice, which most of the time was done alone, the focus tends to be very inwards. I focus a lot on myself, but never the way of transmitting the energy and power effectively towards the oponent. I focus on how to pick up the leg, pull in the knee, kicking out high, kicking to the center, but never really learn how to push the force outward and penetrate through the oponent.

Today's 一言:Should go out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home