Monday, October 23, 2006

Left or Right?

Did some 組手(Kumite) today.
My partner is actually a third dan, and these are the comments that she gave me.

Before i move in, i tend to pause slightly, sinking a bit low before i launch. This made my move very predictable. Need to correct this habit.
My 構(kamae) is too 'square'. Perhaps this has something to do with the fact that i practiced more kata than kumite. Need to turn myself slightly more so that the target for the opponent can be minimized.
Thirdly, my guard is too rigid, too high, and sometime too open. Too rigid makes it easy to be caught; too high/too far out makes it easy to be caught as well, at the same time making it very very not threatening because the punch will not be able to generate much power; with the guard too open, it is just dangerous in all the sense.

But what makes me think a lot is that whether I am better fighting with my left side forward, or right side forward. I used to fight with my left side forward. But today, she commented that i perform better with my right side forward. Was it because i am not used to doing it with right side forward, so that when i punch, i conciously think of punching and strecthing all the way? Perhaps. In either way, it simply means my left hand lacks of training, and my right hand, although well trained, doesn't have any reach.

After the normal training session, i did Kumite with 3 person. I fought IVAN (he asked me to mention his name...). I tried to catch his leg, but my catching is still very messy. Really need to improve on that.
Fought with Justin. Perhaps i was not concentrating, i overheard Kevin commented that he and me fight alike. Our fighting style. But I am glad that my 横蹴り still manage to get in fast enough without being caught by him. **smile**
Lastly, fought with Hendra. Not sure why, but i manage to catch his leg better. Just that after getting the leg, the maneuvering in getting him down is not smooth. Hmm.... some more things to brush up.

Conclusion is, there is still a long way to go, for me, in Kumite.

Today's 一言:
Fight more!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home