Friday, September 07, 2007

Oosaka Karate

It is really a privilidged, to be able to trained with the karateka from Oosaka Technology University.

An immediate feeling when one see the Karate team is that we can feel clearly their ranking. The seniors will always be in front and the juniors are always at the back. In lining up, in walking from place to place, in boarding bus, alighting from bus, and in training as well.

The training session was lead by them. It is not complicated, but it is tough.

In the warming up session, we formed circle, with the people leading the warming up in the center, and two circles surrounding them. The person who lead will count, "一、二、三、四" and the rest will count "五、六、七、八" with a very loud voice.
Today's training, are a lot of punches and kicks. Not much moving around, only training the basix on the spot. However, all of us paired up when training the basic punches and kicks. Reason? We are suppose to always try to beat the speed of the punch of the 'oponent' in front of us, and at the same time, using them as a target to make sure that our punches and kics are not too far off from the actual target. It somehow did encourage me to punch faster and faster, but with limited stamina, after sometime, I chose to reserve my energy so that I can finish their training without problem.

After the basic training, we had a short Kumite session. Firstly, it is just one side attack and the other side defend only. When my oponent defend, he didn't really take much effort to stop me down, especially when i charged in too 'squarely'. All he did was just to straighten his front hand, aiming somewhere around the center of my chest and I can't move in. I need to kill the front hand, or to shift in in an angle just nice to get him, yet not to be blocked by his hand.
When he charged in, the speed was quite scary. I can't really stay put to block everything as my reaction time is not fast enough. I will need to rotate around, but still he manage to get me a lot of times, almost in all of his attempts in attacking me.
Last round, is free sparring. I guess he let down his guard slightly so that I will be able to go in. There are 2 attacks that i did, which i think pretty well. One is a counter attack of his leg, something that I has been practicing for quite sometime: half step back block, step forward and punch. The other is a rushing in in the angle just nice to evade the opponent's attack.
Well, but when he started to attack, I found myself defenseless as well. The last punch, I am not too sure did he miss me on purpose (we are not suppose to kill each other anyway) or is it that i manage to dodge slightly, a clear scratch of his glove on my neck left a mark that is now still red.

After that is a session where we have Kata. I didn't prepare well, but was call upon to do it. I chose Nipaipo, perhaps because that is a higher rangking kata, and at least I have done it for sometime. But still, I made a mistake movement.
I can't really see myself when doing kata, but when looking at the Japanese Karateka doing their kata, i was trully amazed. They are also tired, so not much force is put into each and every technique, but the sharpness of the movement still remains. Really, I still have a lot of room for improvement.

I am not too sure what other people think about the training, was it too tough? But I do hope that this will give them a good experience, to see what is the training like in Japan, and will be motivated themselves, to try their very best to excel.

Today's 一言:気合 (Kiai)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home