Saturday, December 15, 2007

Saturday training

Satruday training is now resumed, for the preparation of next year's IVP training.

The usual morning physical exercise are still done to improve our physical. But how effective are the trainings actually? I have not read any articles that specifically said what kind of exercise is needed to improve our physicals, let alone exercise that is specifically taylored for Karate. True that I have been doing the training over and over for three years. But there is one element which I still felt I have not enough, stamina.
After coming to Singapore, it is true that I have been training constantly. Yes, I can see myself improving, in terms of technique, in terms of speed, accuracy... but without stamina, it is difficult to make full use of these traits that I have.

How to train stamina?
I believe in jogging and swimming. It is not about how fast one goes, it is not about how much distance one cover, but rather how long is one running or swimming continuously. The training that I prescribed to myself was to run 10 minutes, slowly increasing to 15, than 20, than 25, than 30. I don't run big courses, but only a short track, going round and round and round. Perhaps the view is boring, but the focus is on the training of stamina, the coordination of the body while running, the breathing in and out...

I will be going back to my place for 3 weeks. Hopefully in this three weeks time, I will be able to build up my stamina, at least by a bit. And hopefully by that, I will be able to make full use of my ability.

***
Training for competition... what should the training be like...
Again, I started to think and question the trainings that we have been doing. Should we be introducing all sorts of combinations? Or should we just drill on a the few basic and let them combine as they like? Should we be practicing all the movements? or just drill on the same movement over and over and over and over and over and over again?

Looking at the way they punch, apparently we still don't have full control of ourselves. It is relatively hard to hit consistently on the same spot. Some of them have problem punching in a straight line, the trajectory pathway is like a hook punch, or there are all sorts of extra movememnts, unneccessarily extending the time of flight.
Some even complain about hard to pull back, it is not natural to pull back. My only reply is "That is why you need training. Train hard and train well so that pulling back becomes natural to you."

Karate training is not just about punching hard, landing a heavy hit on your oponent and sending him to the ground. It is the control from the begining till the very end, and the end is not when the punch lands on the oponent, but when you have pull back the punch, pull yourself away to a safe distance from your oponent.

Well, but that is only for some.
In anycase, experience is the other component that is important. After repeating and repeating the same punches over and over again, when there is a living target that moves around and counter back every now and then, it is a whole new different story.
I believe in putting them into the arena, have some fight, for as many times as possible, so each and everyone will have the rough idea of how does a real fight looks like. The simple one two punch becomes a bit absurd when the oponent have their hand in front, able to strike you at any point of time when you charge in. What to do when this happen? Press down the hand? Charge in at an angle? The oponent is moving, what is the optimal distance for attacking?

Today's 一言:The fastest way to learn swimming is to jump into the deep trouble water (if you manage to survive...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home